John B. Goodenough
Dr. Goodenough joined the Cockrell School of Engineering in 1986 on retirement from the University of Oxford, England. Before going to England, he spent 24 years at the MIT Lincoln Laboratory as a Group Leader and Research Scientist. He has authored two books and co-authored one. He is a member of the National Academy of Engineering, and the National Academy of Sciences; a foreign associate of the Indian Academy of Sciences, L'Academie des Sciences de L'Institut de France, Academia de Ciencias Exactas Fisicas y Naturales of Spain, and the Royal Society of the United Kingdom. Among other awards, he received the prestigious Japan Prize in 2001 and the Presidential Enrico Fermi Award in 2009.
Recently, he received two honorary awards for his achievements. He has been named an Honorary Engineer by the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Texas and received the IEEE Medal for Environmental and Safety Technologies.
Dr. Goodenough studies the relationships between the chemistry, structure and electrical properties of solids in order to design new or improved technical materials. With Professor Jianshi Zhou, he uses high pressure to study the unusual physical properties encountered at the transition from magnetic to metallic behavior in transition-metal oxides. In the 1950s, Goodenough helped to develop the ferrimagnetic memory cores of the first random-access memory (RAM) of the digital computer and he has identified all the cathode host structures for the lithium-ion batteries that have enabled the wireless revolution and will be used in tomorrow's electric vehicles, power tools, and hybrid cars. Goodenough recently identified a ceramic anode material for a solid oxide fuel cell operating on natural gas.
- Transition-Metal Oxides
- Lithium ion batteries
- Fuel cells
- Oxygen-permeation membranes
- Goodenough, J.B. "Rechargeable Batteries: Challenges Old and New" Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry 16 2019-2029, (2012).
- Li, Y., Xu, M.W., and Goodenough, J.B., "Electrochemical Performance of Ba2Co9O14 + SDC Composite Cathode for Intermediate-Temperature Solid Oxide Fuel Cells" J. of Power Sources 298 40-43, (2012).
- Goodenough, J.B. "Reflections on Sixty Years of Solid State Chemistry" "Zeitschrift fur Anorganische und Allgemeine Chemie" 638 1-5 (2012).
- Dong, Y., Wang, L., Zhang, S., Zhao, Y., Zhou, J., Xie, H., and Goodenough, J.B. "Two-Phase Interface in LiMnPO4 Nanoplates", J. Power Sources 215 116-121, DOI: 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2012.03.077, (2012).
- Lu, Y., Wang, L., Cheng, J.-G., and Goodenough, J.B. "Prussian Blue: A New Framework of Electrode Materials for Sodium Batteries," Chem. Comm.48, 6544-6546, (2012).
- Vasala, S., Cheng, J.-G., Yamauchi, H., Goodenough, J.B., and Karppinen, M. "Synthesis and Characterization of Sr2Cu(W1-xMox)O6: A Quasi-Two-Dimensional Magnetic System" Chem. of Mater. 24 2764-2774 (2012).
- Cheng, J.-G., Zhou, J.-S., Goodenough, J.B., Zhou, H.D., Matsubayahi, K., Uwatoko, Y., Kong, P.P., Jin, C.Q., Yang, W.G., and Shen, G.Y. "Pressure Effect on the Structural Transition and Suppression of the High-Spin State in the Triple-Layer T-'-La4Ni3O8" Phys. Rev. Lett. 108(23) 236403, (2012).
- Li, Y., Han, J.-T., Wang, C.-A., Xie, H., and Goodenough, J.B. "Optimizing Li+ Conductivity in a Garnet Framework" J. Mat. Chem. 22(30), 15357-15361,(2012).
- Moorhead-Rosenberg, Z., Shin, D.W., Chemelewski, K.R., Goodenough, J.B., and Manthiram, A. "Quantitative Determination of Mn3+ Content in LiMn1.5Ni0.5O4 Spinel" Applied Phys. Letters, 100, 213909, (2012).
- Goodenough, J. B., Magnetism and the Chemical Bond, Interscience Monographs on Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry Section, F. A. Cotton, ed., Vol. I (Interscience-Wiley, New York 1963).
- Goodenough, J. B., Les oxydes des métaux de transition (Gauthier-Villars, Paris, 1973).
- Huang, K. and Goodenough, J. B., Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Technology: Principles, Performance and Operations, Woodhead Publishing Limited (2009).
- Goodenough, J.B. "Battery Components Active Materials for" in Encyclopedia of Sustainability Science and Technology, (Springer, 2012). (in publication)
- K. Zaghib, A. Mauger, Goodenough, J.B., and C.M. Julien, "Design and Properties of LiFePO4", in Nanotechnology for Li-ion Batteries, D. Lockwood, ed. (Springer Verlag, Berlin, 2011) Chapter 8.
- Goodenough, J.B., "Materials Design: Fundamental Chemistry and Physics", in Advanced Lithium Batteries, Recent Trends and Perspectives, G. Nazri, A. Manthiram, P. Balaya, A. Yamada, and Y. Yong, eds. (Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2012).