Juan M. Sanchez
Dr. Juan M. Sanchez is the Vice President for Research at The University of Texas at Austin and holder of the Temple Foundation Endowed Professorship #4 in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. He obtained his B.S.in Physics at the University of Cordoba, Argentina, 1971; M.S. in Materials Science, 1974; and Ph.D. in Materials Science, 1977 at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Dr. Sanchez is the author and co-author of over 140 technical publications on a wide range of topics in materials science and engineering. His current research interests are in the electronic, thermodynamic and structural properties of materials including intermetallic compounds, magnetic and non-magnetic alloys, thin films and magnetic multilayers. Primary interest is the development and application of first principles computational methods for the construction of phase diagrams of multicomponent material systems. Other research interests include the development of laser-controlled selective chemical vapor deposition processes for metals, alloys and ceramics.
Dr. Sanchez serves as a Representative to the Government-University-Industry Research Roundtable of the National Academies, member of the Committee on Science, Engineering and Public Policy of AAAS, and member of the Advisory Council of the Hogg Foundation for Mental Health. Dr. Sanchez is past member and Chair of the Visiting Committee for Advanced Technology of NIST>, and a past member of the Board of Visitors of the US Army War College.
Most Recent Publications
- Juan M. Sanchez, "Cluster Expansion and the Configurational Theory of Alloys," The American Physical Society, Vol. 81, (2010), 22, pp. 224202-1 - 224202-13
- A. Diaz-Ortiz, R. Drautz, M. Fahnle, H. Dosch, and J. M. Sanchez, "Structure and Magnetism in bcc-Based Iron-Cobalt Alloys," Phys. Review, Vol. 73, (2006), 224208
- R. Drautz, M. Fahne. And J.M. Sanchez, "General Relations Between Many-Body Potentials and Cluster Expansions in Multicomponent Systems," J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, Vol. 16, (2004), pp. 38-43
- Y. Terada, K. Ohkubo, S. Miura, J.M. Sanchez, T. Mohri, "Thermal Conductivity and Thermal Expansion of L12 Intermetallic Compounds Based on Rhodium," J. Alloys And Compounds, Vol. 354, (2003), pp. 202
- E. Clouet, J.M. Sanchez, and C. Sigli, "First Principles Study of the Solubility of Zr in Al," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, (2002), pp. 094105
- R. Drautz, H. Reichert, M. Fahnle, H. Dosch, and J.M. Sanchez, "Segregation and Ordering at the (110) Surface of Ni-rich NiAl," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 87, (2001), pp. 236102
- Shaarawi, M.S., Sanchez, J.M., Kan, H., and Manthiram, A., "Modeling Laser Induced Chemical Vapor Deposition of Silicon Carbide Rods from Tetramethylsilane," J. Am. Ceram. Soc., Vol. 83, (2000), pp. 1947-1952
- Shaarawi, M.S., Kan, H., Valluri, Sanchez, J.M., Matniram A., "Synthesis and Characterization of Laser Deposited Materials for Ceramic Joining," Ceramic Transactions, Vol. 108, (2000), pp. 1947-1952
- Miura, S., Honma, K., Terada, Y.,, Sanchez, J.M. and Mohri, T., "Mechanical Properties of Rh-based L12 Intermetallic Compounds Rh3, Ti, Rh3Nb and Rh3Ta," Intermetallics, Vol. 8, (2000), pp. 785-791