Harovel G. WheatHarovel Grays Wheat was born in Greenville, Texas in 1947. After graduating cum laude with a B.A. in chemistry from the University of Colorado in 1969, she went to work as a Technical Information Specialist for Marathon Oil Company in Denver. She received her M.S. in Metallurgy from the University of Denver in 1974 and worked as a Research Associate in the Mechanical Engineering Department at Colorado State University from 1974 through 1975.
After receiving her Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from The University of Texas at Austin in 1985, she became a Research Associate in the Mechanical Engineering Department at the university and later joined the faculty in Mechanical Engineering in 1986. She was awarded the Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award in 1989, the Department of Mechanical Engineering Teaching Award in 1991, the Banks McLaurin Fellowship in Engineering in 1991, and the Faculty Excellence Award in Mechanical Engineering in 1999. In 2001, she was appointed Associate Chair for Academic Affairs, and in 2004 she was appointed Faculty Advisor in Mechanical Engineering. Her research focuses on corrosion of structural materials, particularly steel-reinforced concrete in salt-containing environments and aluminum and copper metal matrix composites. Her research interests also include environmental degradation of polymer composites, corrosive properties of grouts and fuels; chemical aspects of laser sintering processes, and smart coatings.
Most Recent Publications
- R.D. Kalina, H.G. Wheat, S. MacLean, and J.E. Breen, "Comparison of corrosion behavior of different prestressing strand types," World Journal Of Engineering (WJOE), Vol. 9, (2012), 1, pp. 1-6
- H. Karpate, H.G. Wheat, J.O. Jirsa, D.W. Fowler, and D.P. Whitney, "Repair and rehabilitation of corrosion-damaged concrete elements using FRP composite wraps," World Journal Of Engineering (WJOE), Vol. 8, (2011), 2, pp. 147-151
- G. Liu and H.G. Wheat, "Use of a Fluorescent Indicator in Monitoring Underlying Corrosion on Coated Aluminum 2024-T3," J. Electrochem. Soc., (2009), 156, pp. C160-166
- Wheat, H.G., Thakar, M., "Efforts to Determine the Relationship Between Corrosion Rate and Corrosion Damage Using Acoustic Emission," Journal Of ASTM International, Vol. 2, (September 2005), 8
- Wheat, H.G., Jirsa, J.O., Fowler, D.W., "Monitoring corrosion protection provided by fibre reinforced composites," Int. J. Materials And Product Technology, Vol. 23, (2005), 3/4, pp. 372-388
- Wheat, H.G., Jirsa, J.O., Fowler, D.W., Berver, E., "Corrosion Damage in Composite-Wrapped Structures," High Performance Materials In Bridges (ASCE), (2003), pp. 97-105
- Wheat, H.G., "Using Polymers to Minimize Corrosion of Steel in Concrete," Cement And Concrete Composites, Vol. 24, (February 2002), pp. 119-126
- Bartolo-Perez, P.M., Pena, J.L., Salas, F.H., Wheat, H.G., and Hernandez-Duque, G., "Corrosion of Reinforced Steel Bars Embedded in Concrete: A Study of Electrochemical and Surface Analysis," Corrosion Reviews, Vol. 18, (2001), 2-3, pp. 255-266
- Hamilton III, H.R., Wheat, H.G., Breen, J.E., Frank, K.H., "Accelerated Corrosion Testing of Grouts for Post-Tensioning Ducts and Stay Cables," Journal Of Structural Engineering, Vol. 126, (February 2000), 2, pp. 163-170
- Wheat, H.G., Kitowski, C.J., Kasthurirangan, J., "Behavior of Steel in Simulated Concrete Solutions," Mechanisms Of Chemical Degradation Of Cement-Based Systems, (1997), pp. 143-150