Phone: (512) 471-0233
Office: ETC 7.138
Dr. Vaibhav Bahadur (VB) is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Texas at Austin. His research interests lie in the fields of thermal/energy systems, oil and gas flow assurance, thermal management, materials and micro/nanofabrication. Dr. Bahadur has a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Purdue University ('08) and a Postdoc from Harvard University. Additionally, Dr. Bahadur has 4 years industry R&D experience, most recently in GE Global Research where he worked in the areas of flow assurance and efficiency/life enhancement of power plant components. Dr. Bahadur has more than 20 journal & conference publications in the above fields, and 6 patent applications.
Prof. Bahadur's research is targeted at a broad fundamental understanding of microscale thermal-fluid transport phenomena that impact power generation, oil and gas flow assurance, and thermal management sectors. The strategic vision of this research is to achieve transformational benefits in macrosystem performance through control and enhancement of thermal-fluid-particle transport at the micro/nanoscale level. Specific research areas targeted by Dr. Bahadur's group include phase change phenomena, microfluidics and oil & gas–relevant flow assurance phenomena in the subsea and unconventional oil/gas space.
- Shahriari A., Wurz J. and Bahadur V. Heat Transfer Enhancement Accompanying Leidenfrost State Suppression at Ultrahigh Temperatures. Langmuir, 30 (40), 12074-12081, 2014.
- Bidkar R. A., Leblanc L., Kulkarni A. J., Bahadur V., Ceccio S. L. and Perlin M. Skin-friction drag reduction in the turbulent regime using random-textured hydrophobic surfaces. Physics of Fluids, 26, 085108, 2014.
- Alizadeh A., Bahadur V., Kulkarni A., Yamada M. and Ruud J. A. Hydrophobic surfaces for control of water phase transitions. Invited paper in special issue of MRS Bulletin on Interfacial Materials with Special Wettability, May 2013.
- Alizadeh A., Bahadur V., Zhong S., Shang W., Li R., Ruud J., Yamada M., Ge L., Dhinojwala A. and Sohal M. Temperature dependent droplet impact dynamics on flat and textured surfaces. Applied Physics Letters, 100, 111601, 2012.
- Mishchenko L., Hatton B., Bahadur V., Taylor J. A., Krupenkin T. and Aizenberg J. Design of ice-free nanostructured surfaces based on repulsion of impacting water droplets. ACS Nano, 4 (12), 7699-7707, 2010.
- Kumari N., Bahadur V., Hodes M., Salamon T., Lyons A., Kolodner P. and Garimella S. V. Analysis of evaporating mist flow for enhanced convective heat transfer. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 53, 3346-3356, 2010.
- Bahadur V. and Garimella S. V. Preventing the Cassie-Wenzel transition using surfaces with non-communicating roughness elements. Langmuir, 25, 4815-4820, 2009.
- Bahadur V. and Garimella S. V. Electrowetting-based control of droplet transitions and morphology on artificially microstructured surfaces. Langmuir, 24, 8338-8345, 2008.
- Bahadur V., Jun X., Liu Y. and Fisher T. Thermal resistance of nanowire-plane interfaces. Journal of Heat Transfer, 127, 664-668, 2005.