John J. McKetta Energy Professorship in Engineering
Phone: (512) 232-5380
Office: NEL 2.100, ETC 7.114
Dr. Steven Biegalski earned his Ph.D. in nuclear engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in May 1996. He joined the faculty of The University of Texas at Austin in 2002. Dr. Biegalski is currently the Director of the Nuclear Engineering Laboratory (NETL). He is licensed as a Professional Engineer in the states of Texas and Virginia. His research focuses on nuclear analytical methods, nuclear instrumentation, nuclear reactor design, and nuclear reactor operations. Dr. Biegalski’s research includes the development and utilization of instrumental neutron activation analysis (INAA), prompt gamma-ray activation analysis (PGAA), neutron depth profiling (NDP), and neutron radiography. He also conducts research that supports nuclear explosion monitoring and nuclear forensics. He has experience modeling environmental pathways with a special focus on atmospheric transport modeling. In the past he has worked to develop technology in support of nuclear treaties.
- T.W. Bowyer, S.R. Biegalski, M. Cooper, P.W. Eslinger, D. Haas, J.C. Hayes, H.S. Miley, D.J. Storm, V. Woods, "Elevated Radioxenon Detected Remotely Following the Fukushima Nuclear Incident", Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, Vol. 102, (2011), 7, pp. 681-687
- Biegalski, S.R., Tipping, T.N., Klingberg, F.J. , "Preparation of Radioxenon and Radioargon Mixed Sources for IFE 2014" Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 307(3), 1837-1840, 2016.
- Dayman, K., Biegalski, S. ; Haas, D. , Prinke, A. , Stave, S. "Evaluation of Independent and Cumulative Fission Product Yields with Gamma Spectroscopy" submitted to the Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 2015, DOI: 10.1007/s10967-015-4491-9.
- C. Johnson , Justin Lowrey , Derek Haas , Steven Biegalski "Examination of Local Atmospheric Transport of Radioxenon in the Ottawa River Valley" submitted to the Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 2015, 10.1007/s10967-015-4488-4.
- Klingberg, F.J., Biegalski, S.R. , Prinke, A. , Haas, D., Lowrey, J. "Analysis 125Xe electron-photon coincidence decay" Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 2015, DOI: 10.1007/s10967-015-4519-1.
- C. Johnson, S. Biegalski, J. Lowrey, and D. Haas, “ Local Transport of Radioxenon Released from the Chalk River Laboratories Medical Isotope Facility,” Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 305:183-192 (2015)
- K. Dayman, S. Biegalski, “Determination of Short-Lived Fission Product Yields with Gamma Spectroscopy,” Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 205:213-223 (2015).
- F. J. Klingberg, S. R. Biegalski, D.A. Haas, A. Prinke, “127Xe coincidence decay analysis in support of CTBT Verification,” Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 305(1), 225-232 (2015).
- C. Johnson, S. Biegalski, H. Armstrong, W. Wilson, “Examination of radioargon production by cosmic neutron interactions,” Environmental Radioactivity, 140, 123-129, 2015.
- A. Reinhart, A. Athey, S. Biegalski, “Spatially-Aware Temporal Mapping of Gamma Spectra,” IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, 31(3), 1284-1289, 2014.
- JD Lowrey, S.R. Biegalski, AG Osborne, MR Deinert,” Subsurface mass transport alters the radioxenon signatures that are used to identify clandestine nuclear tests,” Geophysical Research Letters, 40, 1-5, 2013.