Phone: (512) 468-3871
Dr. Haas' research interests focus on radiation detection for nuclear arms control and non-proliferation, including the fundamental physics of radioactive decay processes, fission yields, and detection techniques. He is one of five surrogate inspectors from the United States for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty and is a technical advisor for US nuclear arms control and non-proliferation policy development. He has also contributed to the analysis of the Fukushima nuclear reactor accident and nuclear tests in the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Korea.
Dr. Haas joined the faculty of The University of Texas after eight years at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory where he worked as a Senior Research Engineer in the National Security Directorate. He earned his bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees from UT Austin.
- Stave, Sean; Prinke, Amanda; Greenwood, Larry; Haas, Derek; Burke, Jason T; Ressler, Jennifer Jo; Tonchev, Anton P; Younes, Walid. Reducing uncertainties for short lived cumulative fission product yields. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry; 307-3 (2016)
- Miley, Harry S; Haas, Derek A. Capabilities of an on-site inspection. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry; 307-3 (2016)
- Olsen, KB; Kirkham, RR; Woods, VT; Haas, DH; Hayes, JC; Bowyer, TW; Mendoza, DP; Lowrey, JD; Lukins, CD; Suarez, RD. Noble gas migration experiment to support the detection of underground nuclear explosions. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry; 307-1 (2016)
- Klingberg, Franziska J; Biegalski, Steven R; Haas, Derek; Prinke, Amanda. 127Xe coincidence decay analysis in support of CTBT verification. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry; 305-1 (2015)
- Dayman, Kenneth; Biegalski, Steven; Haas, Derek. Determination of short-lived fission product yields with gamma spectrometry. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry; 305-1 (2015)
- Bowyer, Ted W; Mendoza, DP; Gesh, CJ; Olsen, KB; Haas, DA; Prinke, AM; Hayes, JC; Reid, BD; Mahoney, LA; Woods, VT. Estimation of 240 Pu Mass in a Waste Tank Using ultra-Sensitive Detection of Radioactive Xenon Isotopes from Spontaneous Fission. PNNL-24355 (2014)
- Bowyer, Ted W; Biegalski, Steven R; Cooper, M; Eslinger, Paul W; Haas, D; Hayes, James C; Miley, Harry S; Strom, Daniel J; Woods, V. Elevated radioxenon detected remotely following the Fukushima nuclear accident. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity; 102-7 (2011)
- Aalseth, Craig E; Day, Anthony R; Haas, Derek A; Hoppe, Eric W; Hyronimus, Brian J; Keillor, Martin E; Mace, Emily K; Orrell, John L; Seifert, Allen; Woods, Vincent T. Measurement of 37Ar to support technology for On-Site Inspection under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment; 652-1 (2011)
- Haas, Derek A; Orrell, John L; Bowyer, Ted W; McIntyre, Justin I; Miley, Harry S; Aalseth, Craig E; Hayes, James C. The science case for 37Ar as a monitor for underground nuclear explosions. PNNL-19458 (2010)
- Haas, Derek A; Biegalski, Steven R; Biegalski, KM Foltz. Radioxenon production through neutron irradiation of stable xenon gas. Journal of radioanalytical and nuclear chemistry; 282-3 (2009)