Louis T. Yule Fellowship in Engineering
Phone: (512) 471-1292
Office: ETC 7.148
Prof. Hall is a faculty member in the Thermal/Fluids Systems program in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and holds the Louis T. Yule Fellowship in Engineering. His research focus is engine combustion processes with an emphasis on optical measurement techniques and engine sensor development. He has served on the College of Engineering faculty since 1991 and has published more than 100 technical articles. He received the Myers Award from the Society of Automotive Engineering in 1998 for the outstanding paper co-authored with a student. Dr. Hall and co-author received the Horning Award (1987) from the Society of Automotive Engineers for the best paper of the year in the area of engines, fuels, and lubricants, and an Arch T. Colwell Merit Award (1985) for outstanding paper from the Society of Automotive Engineers. Dr. Hall received an Engineering Foundation Faculty Excellence Award in 1995 in recognition of his teaching accomplishments. He was elected a Fellow of the Society of Automotive Engineers in 2010.
Dr. Hall received B.S. and M.S. degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Wisconsin, and his Ph.D. in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering from Princeton University. He held post-doctoral positions at Sandia National Laboratories' Combustion Research Facility and the University of California-Berkeley.
Most Recent Publications
- Burges, J. D., Hall, M.J., Lightsey, E.G, "Evaluation of a Dual-Fluid Cold-Gas Thruster Concept," International Journal Of Mechanical And Aerospace Engineering, Vol. 6, (2012), pp. 232-237
- Baker, C., Vuppuluri, P., Shi, L., and Hall, M.J, "Model of Heat Exchangers for Waste Heat Recovery from Diesel Engine Exhaust for Thermoelectric Power Generation," Journal Of Electronic Materials, Vol. 41, (2012), 6, pp. 1290-1297
- Hall, M. J., "Measuring Felt-Recoil of Sporting Arms," International Journal Of Impact Engineering, Vol. 35, (2008), 6, pp. 540-548
- Ekici, O., Ezekoye O.A., Hall, M.J., and Matthews, R.D., "Thermal and Flow Fields Modeling of Fast Spark Discharges in Air," ASME Journal Of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 129, (2007), 1, pp. 55-65
- Warey, A. and Hall, M.J., "Performance Characteristics of a New On-Board Engine Exhaust Particulate Matter Sensor," Journal Of Fuels And Lubricants, Vol. Vol. 5, (2005), pp. pp. 1489-1497
- Camacho, A. and Hall, M.J, "A Piezoelectric Sensor Concept for Measuring Piston Wetting in DISI Engines," Journal Of Engines, Vol. Vol. 5, (2005), pp. pp. 1756-1769
- Warey, A, Hendrix, B., Hall, M.J., and Nevius, T. A., "A New Sensor for On-Board Detection of Particulate Carbon Mass Emissions from Engines," SAE Journal Of Fuels And Lubricants, Vol. 4, (2004), pp. 1-10
- Gao, H., R.D. Matthews, M.J. Hall, and S. Hari, "From Spark Plugs to Rail Plugs � The Characteristics of a New Ignition System," SAE Journal Of Engines, Vol. 113, (2004), pp. 1-10
- Matthews, R.D., Anthony, J.W., Hall, M.J., Ullman, T., and Lewis, D., "The Texas Diesel Fuels Project, Part 2: Comparisons of Fuel Consumption and Emissions for a Fuel/Water Emulsion and Conventional Diesel Fuels," Journal Of Fuels And Lubricants, Vol. 112, (2004)
- Rodriquez, A. and Hall, M. J., "The Simulation of Condensation Removal of a Heavy Metal from Exhaust Gases onto Sorbent Particles," Waste Management, Vol. 23, (2003), pp. 493-502