Cockrell Family Regents Chair in Engineering # 7
Phone: (512) 471-1791
Office: ETC 9.104
Joe C. Walter, Jr. Chair in Engineering
Dr. Manthiram graduated from Madurai University, India, with a B.S. degree in 1974 and a M. S. degree in 1976. He graduated from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, with a Ph.D. degree in Solid State Chemistry in 1980. After his doctoral degree, Dr. Manthiram worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore for one year, as a Lecturer at the Madurai Kamaraj University in Madurai for four years, and as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Oxford in England for one year. He joined the University of Texas at Austin as a postdoctoral researcher in 1986 and became Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering in 1991. He was promoted to the rank of Professor in 2000 and he currently holds the Joe C. Walter, Jr. Chair in Engineering. He is also currently the Director of the Texas Materials Institute and the Materials Science and Engineering Graduate Program.
Dr. Manthiram directs a large, productive research group in electrochemical energy technologies with 30 graduate students and postdoctoral researchers. His current research is focused on lithium-ion batteries, fuel cells, solar cells, and supercapacitors. Specifically, his group is engaged in developing new, low-cost, efficient materials for these clean energy technologies, novel chemical synthesis and processing approaches for nanomaterials, and a fundamental understanding of their structure-property-performance relationships. He is the Co-Founder of ActaCell, a startup company that is engaged in commercializing novel materials developed in his laboratory for high power lithium-ion batteries. Dr. Manthiram has authored more than 420 publications, including more than 340 archival journal articles. He has also been awarded 7 patents. He has given more than 200 presentations including more than 120 invited talks and has edited 6 books. His published work has been cited more than 8,000 times with an h-index of 47.
Dr. Manthiram received the Engineering Foundation Faculty Excellence Award in 1994, Mechanical Engineering Department Faculty Leadership Award in 1996, and Mechanical Engineering Department Outstanding Teaching Award in 2011. He was elected as a Fellow of the American Ceramic Society in 2004 and a Founding Fellow of the World Academy of Materials and Manufacturing Engineering in 2006. He was awarded the Charlotte Maer Patton Centennial Fellowship in Engineering in 1998, the Ashley H. Priddy Centennial Professorship in Engineering in 2002, the BF Goodrich Endowed Professorship in Materials Engineering in 2006, the Jack S. Josey Professorship in Energy Studies in 2008, and the Joe C. Walter Chair in Engineering in 2009.
Most Recent Publications
- Z. Zuo, Y.-Z. Fu, and A. Manthiram, "Novel Blend Membranes Based on Acid-Base Interactions for Fuel Cells," Polymers, (2012)
- Z. Moorhead-Rosenberg, D. W. Shin, K. R. Chemelewski, J. B. Goodenough, and A. Manthiram, "Quantitative Determination of Mn3+ Content in LiMn1.5Ni0.5O4 Spinel Cathodes by Magnetic Measurements," Applied Physics Letters , Vol. 100, (2012), pp. 1-5
- Y.-Z. Fu, Y.-S. Su, and A. Manthiram, "Sulfur-polypyrrole Composite Cathodes for Lithium-Sulfur Batteries," Journal Of The Electrochemical Society , (2012)
- Y.-Z. Fu and A. Manthiram, "Enhanced Cyclability of Lithium-Sulfur Batteries by a Polymer Acid-Doped Polypyrrole Mixed Ionic-Electronic Conductor," Chemistry Of Materials , (2012)
- Y.-Z. Fu and A. Manthiram, "Core-shell Structured Sulfur-polypyrrole Composite Cathodes for Lithium-Sulfur Batteries," RSC Advances , Vol. 2, (2012), pp. 5927-5929
- Y.-S. Su and A. Manthiram, "A New Approach to Improve Cycle Performance of Rechargeable Lithium-Sulfur Batteries by Inserting a Free-Standing MWCNT Interlayer," Chemical Communications , Vol. 48, (2012), pp. 8817-8819
- Y.-S. Su and A. Manthiram, "A Facile In Situ Sulfur Deposition Route to Obtain Carbon-wrapped Sulfur Composite Cathodes for Lithium-Sulfur Batteries," Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 77, (2012), pp. 272-278
- Y. N. Kim, J.-H. Kim, A. Huq, M. P. Paranthaman, and A. Manthiram, "(Y0.5In0.5)Ba(Co,Zn)4O7 Cathodes with Superior High-temperature Phase Stability for Solid Oxide Fuel Cells," Journal Of Power Sources, Vol. 214, (2012), pp. 7-14
- Y. N. Kim and A. Manthiram, "La1.85Sr1.15Cu2-xCoxO6+d Intergrowth Oxides as Cathodes for Intermediate Temperature Solid Oxide Fuel Cells," Electrochimica Acta , Vol. 70, (2012), pp. 375-381
- X. Zhao, Y.-Z. Fu, W. Li, and A. Manthiram, "Hydrocarbon Blend Membranes with Suppressed Chemical Crossover for Redox Flow Batteries," RSC Advances, Vol. 2, (2012), pp. 5554-5556