Temple Foundation Endowed Professorship No. 4
Phone: (512) 471-2877
Office: MAI 302, ETC 9.150
Dr. Juan M. Sanchez is the Vice President for Research at The University of Texas at Austin and holder of the Temple Foundation Endowed Professorship #4 in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. He obtained his B.S. in Physics at the University of Cordoba, Argentina, 1971; M.S. in Material Science, 1974; and Ph.D. in Material Science, 1977 at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Dr. Sanchez is the author and co-author of more than 140 technical publications on a wide range of topics in materials science and engineering. His current research interests are in the electronic, thermodynamic and structural properties of materials including intermetallic compounds, magnetic and non-magnetic alloys, thin films and magnetic multilayers. His primary interest is the development and application of first principles computational methods for the construction of phase diagrams of multi-component material systems. Other research interests include the development of laser-controlled selective chemical vapor deposition processes for metals, alloys and ceramics.
Most Recent Publications
- Juan M. Sanchez, "Cluster Expansion and the Configurational Theory of Alloys," The American Physical Society, Vol. 81, (2010), 22, pp. 224202-1 - 224202-13
- A. Diaz-Ortiz, R. Drautz, M. Fahnle, H. Dosch, and J. M. Sanchez, "Structure and Magnetism in bcc-Based Iron-Cobalt Alloys," Phys. Review, Vol. 73, (2006), 224208
- R. Drautz, M. Fahne. And J.M. Sanchez, "General Relations Between Many-Body Potentials and Cluster Expansions in Multicomponent Systems," J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, Vol. 16, (2004), pp. 38-43
- Y. Terada, K. Ohkubo, S. Miura, J.M. Sanchez, T. Mohri, "Thermal Conductivity and Thermal Expansion of L12 Intermetallic Compounds Based on Rhodium," J. Alloys And Compounds, Vol. 354, (2003), pp. 202
- F. Welsch Lechermann, C. Els�sser, C. Ederer, M. F�hnle, J.M. Sanchez, and B. Meyer, "Density-functional Study of Fe-3-Al: LSDA versus GGAF," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, (2002), pp. 132104
- E. Clouet, J.M. Sanchez, and C. Sigli, "First Principles Study of the Solubility of Zr in Al," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, (2002), pp. 094105
- R. Drautz, H. Reichert, M. Fahnle, H. Dosch, and J.M. Sanchez, "Segregation and Ordering at the (110) Surface of Ni-rich NiAl," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 87, (2001), pp. 236102
- Shaarawi, M.S., Sanchez, J.M., Kan, H., and Manthiram, A., "Modeling Laser Induced Chemical Vapor Deposition of Silicon Carbide Rods from Tetramethylsilane," J. Am. Ceram. Soc., Vol. 83, (2000), pp. 1947-1952
- Shaarawi, M.S., Kan, H., Valluri, Sanchez, J.M., Matniram A., "Synthesis and Characterization of Laser Deposited Materials for Ceramic Joining," Ceramic Transactions, Vol. 108, (2000), pp. 1947-1952
- Miura, S., Honma, K., Terada, Y.,, Sanchez, J.M. and Mohri, T., "Mechanical Properties of Rh-based L12 Intermetallic Compounds Rh3, Ti, Rh3Nb and Rh3Ta," Intermetallics, Vol. 8, (2000), pp. 785-791