The BF Goodrich Endowed Professorship in Materials Engineering
Phone: (512) 471-3109
Office: ETC 7.140
Dr. Li Shi is the BF Goodrich Endowed Professor in Materials Engineering at the University of Texas at Austin. He spent close to a decade in combustion research, which resulted in a bachelor's degree in Thermal Engineering from Tsinghua University at Beijing in 1991, a master's degree in Mechanical Engineering from Arizona State University in 1997, and four-years of industrial research experience in between. His invention of micro-devices for studying thermal physics in individual carbon nanotubes earned him a doctoral degree in Mechanical Engineering from University of California at Berkeley in 2001. Dr. Shi investigated thermoelectric cooling as an IBM Research Staff Member for about a year before joining the faculty at UT Austin in 2002 to build a program at the interface between thermal sciences and materials sciences.
One focus of Dr. Shi's research is on engineering thermal energy transport, conversion, and storage with nanostructured and complex materials. His research group has demonstrated a set of unique methods based on nanofabricated measurement devices, scanning probe microscopy, and optical spectroscopy to characterize energy transport and conversion in individual carbon nanotubes, graphene, nanowires, thin films, and nanocomposites. The publications from these groundbreaking works have been highly cited, and have led to a better understanding of thermal transport processes in nanomaterials especially carbon nanostructures. Based on the findings from some of these fundamental research efforts, high-performance devices are being developed in his group for thermal energy storage, thermoelectric vehicle waste heat recovery, and solar energy utilization. His other research efforts include thermal management of nanoelectronic devices and nanotechnologies for drug delivery and biomedical imaging.
Among Dr. Shi's synergetic activities, he has co-organized a NSF sponsored workshop on Nanotechnologies for Solar and Thermal Energy Conversion and Storage, the Seventh US-Japan Joint Seminar on Nanoscale Transport Phenomena, and the ASME Third Energy Nanotechnology International Conference. He has also chaired a number of symposiums and sessions for Materials Research Society (MRS), American Physical Society (APS), and American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) conferences. He currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief of Nanoscale and Microscale Thermophysical Engineering.
Dr. Shi's research achievements and professional services have been recognized by the Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award from the National Science Foundation in 2003, the Young Investigator Award from the Office of Naval Research in 2004, the ASMETransaction Journal of Heat Transfer Outstanding Reviewer Award in 2005, the Myron L. Begeman Fellowship in Engineering at UT Austin between 2007 and 2014, the O'Donnell Award in Engineering from the Academy of Medicine, Engineering, and Science of Texas in 2013, and BF Goodrich Endowed Professorship in Materials Engineering at UT Austin since 2014. He is a fellow of ASME and an active member of the UT Austin Badminton Club.
- P. Kim, L. Shi, A. Majumdar, P. L. McEuen, "Thermal Transport Measurements of Individual Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes", Physical Review Letters, Vol. 87, (2001), 21, pp. 215502:1-4
- H.-K. Lyeo, A. A. Khajetoorians, L. Shi, K. P. Pipe, R. J. Ram, A. Shakouri, C. K. Shih, "Profiling the Thermoelectric Power of Semiconductor Junctions with Nanometer Resolution", Science, Vol. 303, (2004), 5659, pp. 816-818
- M. T. Pettes and L. Shi, "Thermal and Structural Characterizations of Individual Single-, Double-, and Multi- Walled Carbon Nanotubes", Advanced Functional Materials , Vol. 19, (2009), 24, pp. 3918-3925
- J. H. Seol, I. Jo, A. L. Moore, L. Lindsay, Z. H. Aitken, M. T. Pettes, X. Li, Z. Yao, R. Huang, D. Broido, N. Mingo, R. S. Ruoff, L. Shi, "Two-Dimensional Phonon Transport in Supported Graphene", Science, Vol. 328, (2010), 5975, pp. 213-216
- M. M. Sadeghi, I. Jo, L. Shi, "Phonon-Interface Scattering in Multi-layered Graphene on an Amorphous Support", Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 110, (2013), pp. 16321-16326
Most Recent Publications
- V. Singh, T. L. Bougher, A. Weathers, Y. Cai, K.D. Bi, M. T. Pettes, S. A. McMenamin, W. Lv, D. P. Resler, T. R. Gattuso, D. H. Altman, K. H. Sandhage, L. Shi, A. Henry, B. A. Cola, "High Thermal Conductivity of Chain-Oriented Amorphous Polythiophene," Nature Nanotechnology, Vol. 9, (2014), 384
- S. Wen, E. Fleming, L. Shi, A. K. da Silva, "Numerical Optimization and Power Output Control of a Hot Thermal Battery with Phase Change Material," Numerical Heat Transfer Part A, Vol. 65, (2014), pp. 825-843
- M. T. Pettes, L. Shi, "A Reexamination of Phonon Transport through a Nanoscale Point Contact in Vacuum," Journal Of Heat Transfer, Vol. 136, (2014), 032401
- J. Buongiorno, D. G. Cahill, C. H. Hidrovo, S. Moghaddam, A. J. Schmidt, L. Shi, "Measurement Methods for Phase Change Heat Transfer on Nanostructured Surfaces," Nanoscale And Microscale Thermophysical Engineering, Vol. 18, (2014), pp. 270-287
- I. Jo, M. T. Pettes, E. Ou, W. Wu, L. Shi, "Basal-plane thermal conductivity of few-layer molybdenum disulfide," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 104, (2014), 201902
- H. X. Ji, D. P. Sellan, M. T. Pettes, X. H. Kong, J. Y. Ji, L. Shi, R. S. Ruoff, "Enhanced Thermal Conductivity of Phase Change Materials with Ultrathin-Graphite Foams for Thermal Energy Storage," Energy & Environmental Science, Vol. 7, (2014), 1185
- D. G. Cahill, P. V. Braun, G. Chen, S. H. Fan, K. E. Goodson, P. Keblinski, W. P. King, G. D. Mahan, A. Majumdar, H. J. Maris, S. R. Phillpot, E. Pop, L. Shi , "Nanoscale Thermal Transport II: 2003-2012," Applied Physics Reviews, , Vol. 1, (2014), 011305
- C. C. Chen, Z. Li, L. Shi, S. B. Cronin, "Thermal Interface Conductance across a Graphene/Hexagonal Boron Nitride Heterojunction," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 104, (2014), 081908
- C. A. Baker, A. Emiroglu, R. Mallick, O. A. Ezekoye, L. Shi, M. J. Hall, "Development of an Analytical Design Tool for Monolithic Emission Control Catalysts and Application to Nanotextured Substrate System," Journal Of Thermal Science And Engineering Applications, Vol. 6, (2014), pp. 031014 - 031014
- A. L. Moore, L. Shi, "Emerging Challenges and Materials for Thermal Management of Electronics," Materials Today, Vol. 17, (2014), pp. 163 - 174