Mechanical Engineering Slide Show Long Description
Last modified on May 8th, 2014
2009 Slide Show Descriptions
To view the image associated with the story, run the mouse over the "Read More" link in the list below. The associated photo and caption will appear on the right side of the screen, replacing the nuclear reactor image. Click the link to read the story.
- This is a group of his undergraduate students with Senior Lecturer Billy Wood, who will be teaching a Maymester in Vienna, Austria. Wood will teach his graphics class to approximately 20 UT engineering students in May/June of 2010. This is the first time the class has been offered. Read more.
- This is a photo of Associate Professor Paulo Ferreira reviewing a book on nanotechnology with Professors Michael Ashby (Cambridge) and Daniel Schodeck (Harvard). The book is titled Nanomaterials, Nanotechnologies and Design and was published by Elsevier. Read more.
- This is a photo of graduate student Michael Pettes with the cryostat sample holder showing the suspended microthermometer device used for thermal conductance measurements of individual carbon nanotubes. Pettes and Professor Li Shi won the Best Poster Award at the 2009 Fall Meeting of the Materials Science Research Society. Read more.
- This is a collage of power lines and a photo of Dr. Michael Webber, who will be giving a three-day seminar Jaunuary 12-14, 2010, with survey of energy technologies and American energy policies. academic year. Read more.
- This is a photo of Professor Eric Bickel, and Professor Sheldon Landsberger who have received approval from The University of Texas at Austin Graduate Program to fund Graduate School Diversity Mentoring Fellowships for the 2010-2011 academic year. Read more.
- This is a photo of Professor Kenneth Ralls, alumnus (BAE Systems Principal Engineer) Mark Koeroghlian and Professor Ron Matthews chatting at Tailgate '08. Faculty, staff, students, alumni and family members are invited to join us for Tailgate 2009 on November 21, 2009. Read more.
- This is a photo of graduate student Shilpa Gulati and Chris Flesher on board a helicopter from McMurdo Station to West Lake Bonney, where they are part of a team studying the underwater characterization of the chemical properties of the water in a perennially ice-covered lake, West Lake Bonney. Read more.
- This is a photo of Associate Professor Preston Wilson and graduate student Chad Greene with the U.S. Coast Guard ship, The Polar Sea, behind them. The two researchers have recently returned from the Beaufort Sea where they participated in the MITAS 2009 scientific expedition to study methane hydrate as both a potential full source and a green house gas. Read more.
- This is a close-up photo of a solar panel. The Department of Mechanical Engineering is hiring an Assistant Professor. Faculty candidates should have an interest and expertise in the general area of energy, with specific interest in solar energy, biofuels, or energy storage. Read more.
- Professor John B. Goodenough received the 2009 Presidential Enrico Fermi Award with Stanford University's Siegfried S. Hecker. Goodenough was cited for his contributions to the lithium-ion batteries that enabled the wireless revolution as well as to those now under development for the hybrid electric car. Read more.
- This is a photo of Matt Saunders, Mechanical Engineering Master's student and Assistant Professor Carolyn Seepersad who received the Best Paper Award from ASME's Design Theory and Methodology Conference for their research entitled “The Characteristics of Innovative, Mechanical Products .“ Read more.