Graduate Research Assistant
Mechanical Engineering Dept.
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712 U.S.A.
Last Modified 7/11/96
I am a graduate research assistant in the Mechanical Engineering Dept. at
The University of Texas at Austin
, doing research on process-induced fiber waviness in composite materials. I am pursuing my Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering.
I received a B.S. in Engineering Science concentrating in mechanical engineering from Trinity University in San Antonio in May of 1991.
My current research interests include the use of fiber reinforced composites in structural applications. In order to improve the performance of these materials, the evolution of the fiber geometry throughout the manufacturing process must be understood more fully. Through an experimental and theoretical investigation of fiber waviness, a more fundamental understanding of composite material behavior can be obtained, leading to improved composite usage in the future.
Publications -- Journal Papers
- D. Kugler, P. Joyce, and T. Moon, "Investigation of the Effect of Part Length on Process-Induced Fiber-Wrinkled Regions in Composite Laminates", to be published.
- P. Joyce, D. Kugler, and T. Moon, "A Technique for Characterizing Process-Induced Fiber Waviness in Composite Laminates Using Optical Microscopy", to be published.
Publications -- Conference Papers & Presentations
- P. Joyce, D. Kugler, and T. Moon, "Investigation of Process-Induced Fiber-Wrinkled Regions in Composite Laminates", Society of Engineering Science 31st Annual Technical Meeting, October 10, 1994, Texas A & M University, College Station, Texas (abstract only published by SES).
- T.J. Moon, M.S. Bhalerao, P.J. Joyce, and D. Kugler, "Polymer Composite Processing: Models and Experiments", 1995 NSF Design and Manufacturing Grantees Conference, January 4-6, 1995, University of California, San Diego, California (abstract only published by SME).
- P. Joyce, D. Kugler, M. Bhalerao, T. Moon, "The Effect of Fiber Waviness on Global Structural Performance", 6th International Conference on Marine Applications of Composite Materials, March 19-21, 1996, Cocoa Beach, Florida.
For further information regarding my work here at the University of Texas, please feel free to contact me via e-mail at:
See also the informal version of my homepage